Capacity Building in Urban and Regional Planning
The aim of this course is to empower municipal engineers and engineering staff to have a basic understanding of the theory, concepts, definitions, practices and procedures underpinning the Profession of Planning. The point of departure is not to train engineering staff to become Urban and Regional Planners but to enable such members of staff to engage with planning specialists and related applications such as spatial plans, land development applications etc.
The dates for the one-day Capacity Building Courses in Urban and Regional Planning are as follows:
• IMESA Capacity Building Course 1: Kimberley (31 May, 2019)
• IMESA Capacity Building Course 2: Nelspruit (26 July, 2019)
• IMESA Capacity Building Course 3: Newcastle (30 August, 2019)
This course is for all employees within Municipal Engineering Departments. Other staff from municipalities may also register for this course subject to capacity. A maximum of 50 attendees per course will be registered and preference will be given to staff from Engineering Departments.
- Module 1: Need for Capacity Building and Orientation.
- Module 2: Policy and Legislative Framework Guiding Planning.
- Module 3: Spatial Development and Layout Design.
- Module 4: Human Settlement Planning and Development.
- Module 5: Building, Construction Management and Development Control.
- Module 6: Transportation, Sectoral Plans and Engineering Services.
- Module 7: Environmental Management, Planning and Development.
- Module 8: Integration of Professions involved in Spatial Planning and Development.
There is no charge for attendance of this course by staff from Local Municipalities, however registration is essential. Attendance without a registration number will be not be allowed.