IMESA / CESA Excellence Awards
The Institute of Municipal Engineering of Southern Africa (IMESA) and Consulting Engineers South Africa (CESA) have pleasure in announcing the winners of the 2012 IMESA/CESA Project Excellence Awards as presented on Tuesday 23 October 2012 at the Opening Function and Presidential Address of the 76th IMESA Conference in George.
The biennial Project Awards were established in 1986 to create awareness among the general public of the “art and science” involved in civil engineering for infrastructure, as well as highlighting the innovative ways in which this profession finds answers to challenging problems.
Civil engineers plan, build, operate and maintain a variety of projects which include roads, bridges, housing, water supply projects, sewers, wastewater treatment works and other engineering facilities required by the community. The general objectives of the awards are to:
- Give recognition to well-engineered civil engineering projects for infrastructure
- Portray the art and science of civil engineering for infrastructure to the general public
- Illustrate how the profession finds answers to challenging infrastructure engineering problems
Submitted projects have to meet some or all of the following criteria:
1) The effectiveness of the project in response to community needs.
2) The involvement of the municipal engineer’s on the project.
3) The extent of innovation, ingenuity and originality of the project.
4) Environmental sustainability.
5) Financial sustainability over lifecycle of project.
6) Quality & efficiency of implementation of the project i.e. on time and within budget.
7) Quality of the submission.